From its beginning as an outpost to protect settlers from the indian tribes, through the cattle and oil boom, to current times as a corporate center, the city of Fort Worth
has been through many changes but has managed to preserve much of its deep rooted heritage.
In January1849, General William Worth proposed building ten forts to designate where the west Texas frontier began – stretching tom Eagle Pass to the West Fork and Clear Fork of the Trinity River. General Worth died of cholera on May 7, 1849. General William Harney assumed General Worths position. Under General Harney’s orders, on June 6, 1849, a post was established on the banks of the Trinity River and named Camp Worth in honor of General Worth. The U.S. War Department officially granted the name “Fort Worth” to the post on November 14, 1849.
Although there were still threats from local tribes, people immediately began settling in the area. New forts were eventually established further west. The U.S. evacuated Fort Worth in September of 1853. The local settlers to possession of the fort site. The first school was opened in 1854 with 12 students. Julian Field opened a flour mill and general store in 1856. Fort Worth also became the western terminal for the Butterfield Overland Mail and the Souther Pacific Stage Line – on their journey west to California. Fort Worth became know as Where the West Begins.
In 1860 it became the county seat of Tarrant County. The population at the time was 5,170. At the time there were 850 slaves in Fort Worth. The citizens of Tarrant County voted for disunion with the North. The Civil War and Reconstruction was almost the end of Fort Worth. The city’s population dropped as low 175 people. Fort Worth slowly recovered until years later the booming cattle industry accelerated Fort Worth’s growth. The city became a major resting place for cowboys driving their cattle along the Chisolm Trail to Kansas. Many of the major cattle buyers in the north established headquarters in Fort Worth which became know as Cowtown. In 1873 Fort Worth was incorporated with a major-city council government. In 1876, the Texas and Pacific Railway arrived in Fort Worth, the Fort Worth Stockyards became one of the premier centers for the U.S. cattle industry.
In the early 1900, Fort Worth’s economy was boasted further because of oil exploration in surrounding towns. The city was centrally located, by 1920 there were 12 oil refineries in Fort Worth. During both World War I and World War II the city population grew because of airfields and training bases locate there.
Today Fort Worth’s population exceeds 700,000 and it is the 17th largest city in the United States. It is a center for aerospace, energy, banking, entertainment and other major industries. Fort Worth also is home to several world class art museums including the Amon Carter Museum of American Art, The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, the Kimbell Art Museum, the Sid Richardson Museum and others.
From it’s humble beginnings as an outpost to its current status as a major metropolitan area – Fort Worth continues to be proud to be know as THE TOWN OF THE COW.
A few of the many things to do while visiting Fort Worth and the surround area: (way to many to mention them all)
- Stockyard Station – Fort Worth Stockyard
- Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art
- Sid Richards Museum
- Texas Motor Speedway
- Bass Hall
- Casa Mañana
- Billy Bob’s Texas
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing
- Fort Worth Aviation Museum
- Fort Worth Zoo
- Fort Worth Botanic Gardens
- Fort Worth Water Gardens
- Texas Christian University
- Six Flags of Texas (Arlington)
- AT&T Stadium – Home of the Cowboys (Arlington)
- Globe Life Park in Arlington – Home of the Texas Rangers
Fort Worth, No words could tell its worth – Fort Worth, Texas, Best town on earth. Fort Worth, Texas, That’s my town! Ray Price: Fort Worth Texas