Focus on the Backroads » Photo Journeys

Category Archives: Historic Cemetery

FOCUS ON THE BACKROADS: Ammannsville’s Painted Church St John the Baptist Catholic Church

Ammannsville, Texas‘ roots go back to the 1870’s and is named after the first settler, Andrew Amman.  Like many of the towns in the area the early settlers were German and Czech immigrants.  In 1876 the first business opened and the town had a post office by 1890. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church was […]

View full post »

FOCUS ON THE BACKROADS: PORT ISABEL CEMETERY – PORT ISABEL TEXAS

Hidden on the backroads of Texas are thousands of historic cemeteries that contain important  bits of history of the people who settled the Lone Star State.  A wonderful example of this is the Port Isabel Cemetery in Port Isabel, Texas.  Every summer tens of thousands people travel on Hwy 100 through Port Isabel on there […]

View full post »

FOCUS ON THE BACKROADS: BIG BEND TEXAS

In far southwest Texas a vast area known as Big Bend.  This area is named for the vast curve of the Rio Grande River.  Throughout the years people have passed trough this area, including Indian tribes, Spanish conquistadores, U.S. Soldiers, miners, ranchers, farmers, and many legendary outlaws and bandits.  In the 1500’s several Indian tribes inhabited Big […]

View full post »

FOCUS ON THE BACK ROADS: TERLINGUA, TEXAS: Best Little Ghost Town in Texas

Terlingua is located southwest Texas near Big Bend National Park.  It is the most visited ghost town in Texas.  The name Terlingua comes from two Spanish word, tres and lenguas meaning “three tongues”.  This was either because of the three languages that were spoken in the area at that time – English, Spanish, and Native American. […]

View full post »

FOCUS ON THE BACKROADS: THE SMALLEST CATHOLIC CHURCH IN THE WORLD – ST. MARTIN WARRENTON, TEXAS

By 1886 a large number of Catholic families were living in and around Warrenton, Texas.    The priest from near by Fayetteville organized a congregation and visited saying mass in private homes.  In 1888,  Frederick and Helen Spies sold one acre of land to the Catholic bishop on which a church and cemetery were to […]

View full post »